ITIL is a globally recognized framework to ensure business success with a standard IT management system. It creates strategic reviews, and accurate, flexible driving quality IT-enable services.
Our revised list of ITIL interview questions and answers provides in-depth details and types of questionnaires to expect. With revising such ITIL interview questions and answers, the dream career is just a round away.
The worst idea a candidate can afford to miss a chance is by skipping the most commonly asked ITIL interview questions and answers.
Take a glance at the frequently asked ITIL interview questions and answers for experienced professionals or fresher’s in this article.
ITIL® is the primary framework containing a set of IT service management practices. It aims to bring IT services closer to the needs of the customer and meet an organization’s business needs.
1) What is a back-out plan?
Ans: There are instances where after the release you encounter some crisis and the release fails. In such cases, withdrawal of release has to be done for which a plan is laid in advance. This is called a back-out plan.
2) What is the first line of support?
Ans: The service desk is the first line of support.
3) What does ITIL stand for?
Ans: ITIL stands for Information Technology Infrastructure Library.
4) Name a few ITIL-based models adopted by an organization
Ans: Microsoft MOF, Hewlett – Packard (HP ITSM Reference Model and IBM (IT Process Model).
5) State the relation between Availability, Availability service time, and downtime
Ans: Availability % = (Available service time –downtime) / Available service time.
6) What are the types of SLA?
Ans: There are three types of SLA,
- Service-based SLA
- Customer-based SLA
- Multi-level SLA
7) SACM stands for?
Ans: Service Asset and Configuration Management.
8) What are the phases of a PDSA cycle?
Ans: The four phases in the PDSA Cycle are,
- Plan: Involves the identification and analysis of the problem.
- Do: Development and testing of a solution.
- Check: Check how effective the solution is and look for areas of improvement.
- Act: Implementation of the improved solution.
9) What do you know about change requests and service requests?
Ans: The change request is a formal way of requesting a change or alteration in a processor system. And, the service request is a request made by the user for access to a system, queries, and information related to the service.
10) When is an issue escalated?
Ans: Usually, when a user finds some difficulty using the system or has some queries to make regarding it, they approach the service desk via chat, email or phone call. The service desk helps them resolve the issue by using the tracking tools. However, there are cases where issues cannot be resolved by the service desk. It is when the issue is escalated for further help.
11) What is Configuration Management?
Ans: Configuration Management involves maintaining a list of inventory. Information related to the hardware and software of the organization is kept in one place for reference.
12) What are the roles in the RACI model?
Ans: The roles in the RACI model involve:
- Responsible: Individual responsible for getting the job done.
- Accountable: Individual accountable for the tasks.
- Consulted: Individual who is to be consulted.
- Informed: Individual who is informed about the progress.
13) Name a few knowledge management systems
Ans: Mentioned below are the few knowledge management systems
- CMIS (Capacity Management information system)
- DML (Definitive media library)
- CMDB (Configuration management database)
- KEDB (Known error database)
14) What type of information is stored in CMDB?
Ans: CMDB contains information that is responsible to hold a collection of IT assets known as configuration items (CI). Alongside this, it also holds information related to the relationship between these assets.
15) On what standard is the ITIL security management based on?
Ans: ITIL security management is based on the ISO 27001 standard.
16) What does incident management do?
Ans: The incident management controls the flow of incident information.
17) Give some examples where the incident management process can be used
Ans: Bug in an application, System down, Printer issues and storage space alerts.
18) What information is needed to identify a known error?
Ans: The information related to the cause of the problem is required to identify the known error.
19) What are the metrics for performance measurement in service management?
Ans: There are four metrics for measuring the performance,
20) What are the prerequisites to begin the testing process?
Ans: Below is the list of information required to begin a testing procedure,
- Acceptance criteria
- Release plans
21) Name a few components of SKMS
Ans: Listed below are the few components of SKMS:
- Availability management system.
- Configuration management system.
- Service portfolio.
22) What are the types of testing?
Ans: The various testing types include:
- Security testing
- Usability testing
- Process testing
- Regression testing
- Compatibility testing
23) What is the difference between incident management and problem management?
Ans: While incident management focuses on resolving the issue then and there while attempting to get the user back on track, problem management takes a closer look at the issue and strives to find its root cause.
24) What is the role of availability management?
Ans: The role of availability management is to ensure that the services are available to the user during the hours mentioned in the agreement.
25) Define OLA
Ans: OLA (Operational Level Agreement) is an agreement made between the service provider and a part of the same organization.
Are you aspiring to make a career in IT Service Management? If yes, you must consider getting an ITIL Certification. Getting certified and receiving certification from AXELOS - governing body will help you build a successful career in IT industry.
We, Sprintzeal, are an ATO (Accredited Training Provider) of AXELOS
Is ITIL Certification worth it?
If you’re an IT professional, taking up the ITIL® certification course will contribute to the growth of your career in several ways. The latest model of the course is divided into five parts; each of which focuses on different stages of the ITSM (Information Technology Service Management) cycle.
Sprintzeal offers ITIL training in various modes of study. You can take up our ITIL V4 Foundation Certification Training to gain knowledge and credibility. It is the foundation-level course. We also offer full-fledged, Instructor-led training for ITIL Intermediate Courses like,
Sprintzeal also offers training for many other IT Service Management Courses like,
Getting certified and adding one or many of these ITIL certifications to your resume will definitely give you an edge over other applicants.
Furthermore, here are some basic tips for your ITIL interview.
Before proceeding with a job interview, the first key priority should be segregating of plan routine mainly for the various types of ITIL interview questions and answers.
Having discussed the phases of an interview and questionnaires, these ITIL interview questions and answers are generally asked often by the interviewers.
Here are some quick interview tips to help you ace the interview,
- Be punctual and show up on time.
- Be ready to talk about your achievements — both personal and professional.
- Keep a check on your language and avoid using fillers.
- Go through the job description and find key requirements you can talk about.
- Listen carefully and take time to gather your thoughts before answering.
- Dress code and behave professionally.
- Avoid interrupting the interviewer.
- Carry all the essential documents.
- Do a brief research on the company and understand their needs.
- Thank the interviewer for his/her time and be polite with criticism too.
Here are the three major phases of an ITIL interview,
Phase 1: Invitation
When you apply for jobs at the organizations you aspire to work with, the first step from the employer’s side is ‘reviewal’. After reviewing your resume, if you are believed to be a good fit for the position, you receive an invitation for the interview.
The invitation can be sent in various forms like e-mail, phone call, message or even a letter. However, each of them is kept professional and the same is expected from the candidate. Be sure to revert to the invitation professionally and promptly.
Phase 2: Meeting
The next phase is the face-to-face interview on the decided schedule. The main aim of this is to estimate the capabilities of the candidate and understand their personality.
It is essential to make a good first impression on the employer by being punctual and professional.
Highlight your strengths and very politely, accept your weaknesses. Be confident and positive but don’t overdo it.
Phase 3: Follow-up
The last and certainly not the least important phase is “Follow-up”. This phase can either make or break the opportunity. It is essential to adopt a professional way of communication for a follow-up.
You can either drop a mail appreciating the time provided for interviewing you, expressing gratitude for the opportunity, or simply give a phone call thanking and enquiring about the job.
We have tried to gather all the essential information required under ITIL interview questions and answers for the ITIL interview rounds. But, know that ITIL is a vast topic and several other ITIL interview questions can be asked too.
Prepare for the interview based on the type of industry you are applying for as some of the sample answers provided for ITIL interview questions and answers may vary with the type of industry.
All in all, be honest, confident, and positive while contemplating the ITIL interview questions and answers while being interviewed, as these factors outshine all other qualities.
If you have any queries with the ‘top 25 ITIL interview questions and answers, reach us in the comment section below.
ITIL Framework and Certifications Guide 2022Article
What is ITIL – Information Technology Infrastructure Library jobs and Certification BenefitsArticle
How to become a certified ITIL Expert in 2022Article
Is ITIL a fit for your organization's culture?Article
ITIL Framework ExplainedArticle
TOP 10 BENEFITS OF TOGAF CERTIFICATION IN ENTERPRISE ARCHITECTUREArticle
The Importance of ITIL certification and scope for career growthArticle
ITIL Certification Levels and Job ScopeArticle
Well Explained : The IT Service Management and ITSM Design, Concepts and its BenefitsArticle
All about ITIL 4 practices – Updates, Service Types and BenefitsArticle
ITIL STRATEGIST CERTIFICATION OVERVIEW AND CAREER PATHArticle
Enterprise Architect Interview Questions and Answers 2022Article
Release Manager Interview Questions and Answers 2022Article
How to Become a Release ManagerArticle
ITIL Processes List – 26 ITIL Processes and 5 ITIL Service Lifecycle StagesArticle
Axelos and TSO launch MSP Foundation appArticle
ITIL Problem Management Guide for BeginnersArticle
ITIL Guiding Principles ExplainedArticle
Last updated on Jul 14 2020
Last updated on Mar 27 2022
Last updated on Sep 30 2021
Last updated on Apr 5 2022
Last updated on Oct 20 2022
Last updated on Aug 18 2021